Happy Friday Friends! Welcome back to my Ask the Reader series. If you missed the first one, the topic was Commenting Conundrum and you should totally check it out and tell me what you think because I love interacting with all my readers!
This week I want to know what y’all think about the ever so controversial topic of monetizing your blog. Some people will claim that monetizing your blog is selling out but I couldn’t disagree more!
Here are this Girl’s thoughts on Monetizing Your Blog…
- This Blog’s name is Girl Meets Debt because guess what? I have massive debt! We’re talking $58,000. That’s no joke and if I pass up the opportunity to earn extra money to help pay off my debt faster then I might as well be Girl Meets Stupid.
- Some bloggers refuse to monetize their blog and I can respect that. There are other bloggers who make it 100% obvious that they want to take their blog beyond the “hobby” level and I can respect that too.
- I’m not talented/dedicated enough of a blogger to ever quit my regular full-time day job to blog/freelance 100% but a few extra hundred dollars here and there is the main reason why I’ve been consistently able to pay over a thousand dollars each month towards my debt repayment.
- I may not always agree with the advertisement on my blog but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to showcase other opinions.
- As long as I never post anything I am truly against (which I never will!) then I will always be able to sleep at night.
- My longtime readers and even new readers can tell that I’m an opinionated, quirky, HONEST Girl and that will never change. Advertisements or not. Even if I stopped making money tomorrow, I will still continue to blog because I am determined to document my debt repayment journey from start to finish.
- I understand that for a new blogger I was able to monetize fairly early but that’s because J aka my boyfriend aka Jeremy from Modest Money knows what he’s doing and I’m lucky to have him as my blog ‘manager’.
- I promise to never lose my GMD ‘voice’ on this blog.
- I should also add that the “money” I make from this blog is peanuts (I’ve yet to break into the 4 digit number a month) but debt bloggers can’t be choosers right?
What are your thoughts on monetizing blogs? Please tell me in the comments below…