Happy New Year’s Eve Friends!
No one loves the holidays more than this Girl but it’s always nice to get back to the regular scheduled programming of life too. J and I don’t have any big party plans for NYE except make some cheese fondue, eat appys for dinner, play Super Mario on Wii and watch the ball drop at Times Square on TV and hope that I don’t fall asleep by 12:01am.
Wow. My last Debt Repayment Update for 2013.
All I really wanted for Christmas this year (aside from some cute, comfy Victoria Secret PJs!) was for my debt to reach the under $40k milestone and I’m so happy to report that it has!
At the beginning of December I had already mentally prepared myself for not making more than my usual over $1k debt repayment at the end of the month because I knew that I was going to be setting aside $500 for Christmas presents (I have a big immediate family!) and I didn’t know if I was going to be getting a Christmas work bonus or not.
I received the small Christmas work bonus. Every penny of it went towards debt repayment.
I also received Christmas cash from my parents and J’s grandma. Every penny of that went towards me.
November Student Loan: – $40,397.53
End of December Student Loan: - $38,872.79
Which means I paid a total of $1,524.74 towards debt this month.
All in total, I knocked out $18,586.15 of my original - $57,458.94 debt in the year 2013!!! Someone please pinch me so I know I’m not dreaming.
I also had some non-debt related goals for December.
- Go see the bright twinkling Christmas lights at Stanley Park and VanDusen Botanical Gardens here in Vancouver – PASS! The forever child in me will always be awed by seeing bright Christmas lights!
- Have a frugal, sugar-filled, nostalgic date night making gingerbread houses – PASS! It was a fun date night. J is much better at decorating gingerbread houses than I am since I couldn’t stop eating the candy!
- Keep my Christmas budget under $500 – PASS! I love gift-giving and I’m happy to say that I bought thoughtful presents for everyone on my list while still remaining comfortably under budget this year!
- Spend no more than $450 a month on groceries – PASS! This one was kinda an easy peasy goal since we were not at our condo for a week of December but I will take a win when I can.
- Not gain any weight over the holidays but I’m realistic in knowing I probably won’t lose any weight either – FAIL. I don’t know how much weight I officially gained over the holidays but my skinny jeans felt extra “skinny” this morning.
- Finish Sophie Kinsella’s Wedding Night novel – I’ve been reading it forever – PASS! Sophie Kinsella is one of my favorite chick lit authors but her latest novel was just brutally bad. Hopefully the next one is better!
I’m not setting any monthly goals for January since I already have some serious 2014 goals that I need to concentrate on.
How did you all do with your December goals?
Image Source: Alan Cleaver via Compfight cc