For anyone who has read my blog since the beginning, you might remember my blog tagline as being Girl Meets Debt: Journey of a Recovering Shopaholic.
My current tagline is Girl Meets Debt: My Journey to a Debt-Free Life. Not exactly, the most original but I feel it represents myself and my blog much more accurately.
Don’t get me wrong. I was definitely a shopaholic before. I used to consider shopping a hobby and would go to the mall at least weekly. If I saw something I wanted, I would buy it instantly as long as I could charge it on my credit card. I shopped when I was happy and I shopped when I was sad. I shopped when I was bored and I shopped when I was mad. I shopped by myself and I shopped with friends. I shopped when the seasons changed and… well you get the picture. In other words, GMD was a shopaholic.
I am a smart girl but I didn’t really see my shopaholic ways as being a serious problem because I think our consumerist society has portrayed shopaholics as flaky, fashion-obsessed women living in a material world like Becky in the popular Confessions of a Shopaholic book series. How popular culture portrays and downplays shopping addictions is whole other post that I won’t get into here. Let’s just say I strongly disagree.
I chose to change my tagline because, even though I was a shopaholic, that wasn’t the reason for the bulk of my debt. 78% of my original debt is from student loans. The other 22% is from credit card debt which yes did include shopping, but also included getting braces as an adult and living in an expensive city while surviving on a low-income. Regardless of where the debt came from, I still have it and this blog will document my journey to a debt-free life
It’s been about half a year since I have stopped my shopaholic ways and even though I am tempted almost everyday since I work downtown in the commercial building that houses the City’s main indoor shopping mall, I have yet to succumb to serious temptation. I no longer make impulse buys because I think long and hard about every single piece of new item I buy. I ask myself if I really need it or if I could do without it. Usually I only buy something new if something old needs replacing and I always try to find a good price. Price matching, comparison shopping, using coupons and discount codes have all become regular in my vocabulary. I also no longer charge things to my credit card. All in all, I am a Girl in control of her shopping.
Starting this blog, has really kept me accountable with my spending because I want to pay off that debt as soon as possible.
Last night, J and I went to the mall because I wanted to buy a cute pair of denim shorts for spring from American Eagle Outfitters. I’ve eyed these shorts for a while but I finally bought them last night because American Eagle Outfitters was having a store wide 40% off sale. Guess who walked out with 4 polo shirts, 1 sweater, and a pair of shorts? Not I! His name starts with a J…
I was a good Girl and walked out with just the denim shorts. Ok fine, maybe a pair of flip flops too.