Considering my last two blog posts were about me shopping and thinking $98 yoga pants were justifiable, I figured it’s time to write a post about me behaving like a good Girl Meets Debt
As some of you may know, I started this blog on December 8th, 2012. But even before I published my first post, I was already reading other PF blogs to learn tips and ideas on how to live a frugal, but fulfilling lifestyle because I was clueless about saving money.
The old me may have spent more money than I had, but even before I started blogging, I had a few frugal habits that I was already practicing daily. I know, it’s surprising right?
So what were the frugal habits I had even BEFORE I was blogging about paying off debt?
1) I never bought books. I always rented them from the library and returned them on time so I never had to pay late fines.
2) I never paid ATM fees. Sometimes that required me walking an extra 5-10 blocks to my nearest bank branch, but I always did so because the thought of paying fees of up to $5 to take out cash as little as $20 creeped me out.
3) I never paid for plastic grocery shopping bags because I always brought my own reusable ones or stuffed things in my huge purse. I don’t know about other parts of the world, but here in Canada, (well at least B.C.) stores would charge 5 cents per bag! I know it’s only 5 cents but that adds up and reusable bags are better for the environment anyways.
4) I was a Starbucks addict but never bought a size bigger than a “tall”. It was lesser calories anyways.
5) Even though I have an Iphone, I never bought apps. There are too many decent ones that are free. I never bought music from iTunes either. I just ummm… listened to songs on the radio or You Tube.
6) I hardly ever ordered drinks when I dined out at restaurants. Good old water was fine for this girl.
7) I never went on vacations but now I’ve been bitten by the travel bug and want to see the world so I’m going to work hard at paying off this debt so I can afford luxuries like traveling.
8) Back before texting became the norm, I never went above my cell phone minutes. I don’t go over my data plan either.
9) I saved my empty pop can bottles and brought them back to the recycling depot to get back the recycling fee.
10) I used coupons whenever I could!
I hope you all enjoyed reading my frugal habits before I started blogging
What were some frugal habits you had before you started blogging?