No, J and I are not engaged!
This post came about because my blogging bestie Anna is getting pre-engaged (congrats lady!) and I took the chance to tell J all about it and of course turned the subject around to discuss our possible future engagement!
“Opportunity knocks for every man, but you have to give a woman a ring.” – Mae West
Let’s be real here. I know J and I haven’t been together that long, but because I am turning 30 soon and he is already well into his 30s, you don’t want to waste your time with someone who has no intention of ever getting married, unless that’s something both partners want. I don’t know if J is the One or not, but I wouldn’t want to waste my time with someone who didn’t even think of me as the possible One. I believe J is the One but only time will tell.
The discussion got to rings and after a friendly/heated debate, we reached a mutual agreement on the maximum cost for the ring.
What we couldn’t reach an agreement on is if I should be able to pick out the ring of my choice!
- It’s much more romantic if he gets to choose out the ring
- He thinks if I choose the ring, then I will always be “expecting” a proposal at any romantic situation (extra pressure)
- He wants to surprise me!
- Screw the surprise! He can surprise me with the actual proposing but I want to choose my ring!
- I’m the one who has to wear the ring
- Ideally, you only get one engagement ring in this lifetime and I want to LOVE the one I have
- My sister and all my friends got to choose their rings
- I promise to stick within the agreed upon price range
J and I would love to hear in the comments below what you all think? Should I let him surprise me and pick out the ring of his choice? Or should he suck it up and let his future wife pick it out because it’s better to practice early on the mantra of “happy wife, happy life.”